An Earth Tone Batik Beauty

Some friends got married in a small ceremony a few months back.  I didn't have time to get a quilt made for them but the plan was for a big reception this month...that gave me time!
Without telling them what I was planning I asked if they had any color schemes preferences for their bedroom.  She mentioned that she generally likes neutral/earth tones.
Here is a screenshot of my inspiration quilt:
I went with batiks due to a recent acquisition of mine.  You see, I have an online auction problem. The first step is to admit you have a problem, right?!  Anyway, there was a local auction with lots of sewing items on it.  The final lot was the fabric contents of a lady's sewing room and I won it.  It was huge!  We nearly filled our horse trailer when we went and picked it all up! Yikes, but my husband is wonderful and said at least I do something with it.
Due to the state of my sewing room, non-existent yet, I haven't even fully gone through it all yet.  But in going through some of it I noticed a lot of batiks.  Soooo, I went through most of the totes one day up in our unfinished loft and pulled all the batiks I found. So fun to get to play in the fabrics a little! :)
Back to the quilt!  My toddler has discovered how fun it can be to take pictures on momma's phone.  So here is a shot of the batik color sorting after I brought them all down to the dining table.
I tried hard to find an actual website with that quilt on it.  No luck, so I had to figure the pattern measurements out myself.  It was fairly simple and soon I had them all laying around awaiting their addition to the blocks.
I initially tried to keep it to blues, browns and greens but I had purchased a batik jelly roll from Connecting Threads had some yellows and reds in it too.  So, they made their way in too!
I had quite the helper! He really likes to push the sewing machine pedal for me and ironing seams is fun too!  Haha!
Here is the top after I added the borders.  I wasn't sure of their mattress size so I tried to make it a bit large for our extra queen.  I was surprised how quickly the diagonal borders came together.
Miss Vivian was ready and willing to do the quilting. ;) I was so excited about this thread.  It is King Tut variegated and it matches the fabrics SOOO well!
The thread was another win from that auction!  Check out this 1920's general store thread display box I scored!! It is beautiful and it is FULL of wonderful threads.  And these aren't grandma's old, disintegrating threads, most of them are modern, fairly high quality threads.  Hurray!
Okay, back to the quilt!  I had a vision for the quilting in mind...it didn't come out the way I had planned but I still like it a lot.


You can see the quilting a little better on the back.
I had another machine mishap along the way.  I only needed to put the last of the binding on when the rubber belt on the Mercury decided to snap. I had to dig a little to find Aunt Gladys in the basement.  She is an old portable electric Singer I have.  

The quilt was given and I am happy to say they loved it and it fits great on their new king size bed!  Yahoo!

Alissa
Linking up with Alycia at QuiltyGirl and TGIFF!

Comments

  1. Hi Alissa. This is my first visit to your blog. Thanks for linking with TGIFF. It is a beautiful quilt. All colors that I adore. Please consider joining my weekly Sew & Tell party that opens each week on Sunday evening. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised the newlyweds were delighted with their quilt. It's lovely. What a great online auction story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I bet they loved it!! it is a Beauty!! Have fun going thru the rest of your *acquisitions* haha!! that's the best!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt