I made this quilt top back in 2014. My post about it here.
It has been sitting in a cute little basket waiting with its backing fabric since then, through my move and all.
I decided it was time! Do I picked out these fun threads and went to town!
I have only tried the all over squiggly lines on a small table runner and decided to try it again. It wasn't too daunting since I only did a section of color at a time.
How fun is this little guy!?
The back is a flannel fabric leftover from some t-shirt quilts I made several years ago.
I had a bit of trouble with the quilting. When I went a certain direction too quickly it would break my thread. I am not picky about threads and I am using a free motion foot on my treadle...not too surprised that I had some kind of problem.
I chose a black and white fabric to frame it out as a binding. Not sure where this one will end up yet!
The main body of the quilt came together surprisingly quick.
Piecing the flying geese border took the longest. My dining room/entry area is just not quite big enough for a full picture :)
If I had to do it differently I would pick different creams so there is more contrast between them. You can hardly tell two of the three apart in person and in the pictures you can't even see that it is more than one color of cream!
Mom isn't big on pink so I was a little worried that the one red/cranberry is pretty pink. She is quite happy with the way it came out altogether though!
It is a king size quilt top on my queen size bed here.
The colors aren't completely true either...took these with my cellphone again!
I chose the middle "blue" fabric for the backing and it arrived on my doorstep this afternoon. Now to get this big boy quilted!!!
Just like that summer is finished and fall is here! All summer a lovely couple brought us fresh cut flowers from their garden to brighten the tables at the assisted living apartments I work at. I miss them already!
I do love fall though! Snuggling down in a comfy quilt next to my woodstove is a perk of the cooler weather.
I am officially finished as the local quilt guild project leader also. It was a good opportunity for me but it will be nice to not feel the pressure to get those projects cranked out.
I turned the last project block into a fall pillow. While I was at it I finished up the block from my first project and made it a pillow as well. Only took a year to finish that poor turkey!
I remember saving the link to this pattern several years ago. I don't do much applique but it just looks so fun!
Well, a friend messaged me several weeks ago asking if I could make her little boy another quilt. The map was her idea and sounded great!
I first found a cool world map tutorial but thought that for a one year old...maybe the country they are from might be a better option.
Choosing each of the 50 fabrics from my scraps was harder than I thought it would be. Once I had them all found and the states cut out I still had to do some rearranging for states that just seemed to disappear. Texas is actually brown minkie! Washington is corduroy and Oregon is satin!
I only accidentally left off California once...oh and Louisiana too! Oops!
I embroidered a little heart in the part of our lovely state that he is from. Then I just did some starburst lines out from the heart for the quilting!
The back was too boring with just one fabric so I made a 3rd patchwork strip to go down the back. It came out at about 42 x 48 ish ;) Hurray for another fun finish!!
I also finished up my 3rd card table play house for a lady at work!
I picked up a set of heavy canvas like curtains at Goodwill last time I went. There was just the right amount of fabric to make this little house.
Embellishments like applique are not my strongest ability. I have tried hard to make all 3 of her houses cute with some adornments! Rick Rack doesn't get used much by me either so I pulled all that I had out and used it!
Hmm, well yesterday was a finish for the season of summer.
A friend asked me to make a quilt to be raffled off for the organization which she works for. It works to help those affected by domestic abuse. I let her pick the pattern and the color scheme. She chose Compass Star. I found the pattern by Roxanne Carter and got to work!
I haven't really done a lot with solids before. I don't leave town often so I order most of my fabric online. It was a pleasant surprise to only have to reorder one fabric because the shade was just wrong for the gradation effect.
The star/compass/New York Beauty-esque sections were all paper-pieced. I don't actually mind paper-piecing and so I just made a bit of an assembly line and made them all at the same time.
The diamonds with the gradient fabrics were made by sewing the strips together and then cutting them at an angle. I was worried about stretching the bias edges, but things came together nicely. Most of my points actually matched up too!!
She is a big one, she is coming in at 88 x 88!
It was and still is stunning to step back and take it all in! I must say it looks harder than it actually ended up being. I was weird and bought totally normal, one color only for the backing. Hehe, that is so not my normal thing!
On to the quilting!!!
It is just so normal to me that I often forget to even mention it, but this entire quilt, quilting and all was made on my treadle sewing machine. I purchased this one almost 10 years ago and just love the simplicity of it and how fun it is to use.
I didn't get too fancy with the quilting. Simply stuck with a lot of echo quilting for the most part.
Looks like I don't have a good picture of the entire thing flat. There is a thin purple border and then a wider border in the teal print. I machine-bound it with the grey.