Craving Guidance.

"We are always in need of direction, and most of us are acutely aware of that need."

I am aware of my need for direction and guidance. Unfortunately, Satan used that need to cause me to stumble. I constantly find myself almost in a panicked state when decisions or situations come up. In my human frailty I so often turn to others for guidance. I tell my pitiful plight (okay it isn't always pitiful) to a friend hoping that they can solve my dilemma or ease my anxiety.

"The self-guided person will make decisions based on emotional needs, cravings for self-esteem, physical impulses and present-life planning. There is nothing eternal about their choices, no urge to submit to their Creator, no consistent willingness to put others' needs ahead of their own desires."

My devotional for the other morning was spot on in pointing out this very problem. Here I am, saved by God's grace...but failing to look for that very grace to help me live this life. And even if I do turn to the Lord, I don't stop to wait for the very direction I ask for.

"Though we want God's guidance and ask for it, we often do not wait for it."
--Chris Tiegreen (The One Year Walk with God Devotional)

One friend was kind enough to point me back to my Savior. She reminded me once again of my need to take hold of Scripture and see God's promises there.

"We set our minds not on what is seen, but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporal, and what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor 4:18
"Rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life: and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. For sin shall NOT be your master because you are not under law, but under GRACE!!!!" Rom 6:13b-14

"For everyone born of God overcomes the world." 1 John 5:4

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." Rom 5:1

"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Phil 4:13

"Thanks be unto God who always causes us to triumph through Christ Jesus!" 2 Cor 4:14

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." Roman 12:2
Just some honest musings, followed by God's powerful Word.
Alissa

Comments

  1. ALissa,
    Thanks for sharing. It was very encouraging for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeking Christian counsel isn't a bad thing when done in the midst of prayer and Scripture. Obviously, if you're just making a decision because somebody suggested it to you that maybe isn't the best plan. There's a really good book called In a Pit with A Lion on a Snow Day that deals with making decisions and taking risks. It really helped me see that being paralyzed by fear and not making a decision for fear of making the wrong one is not what God desires from me. One of my favorite quotes from that book is "God wants you toget where He wants you to go more than you want to get there." It's such a good reminder that God is still God, in spite of my actions. Even if I do make a less than perfect choice, He is still at work in my life directing me towards what He would have for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! Thank you for sharing, it was very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:38 PM

    your posts are always at just the right times to encourage me in my walk with God! thank you! -cindie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt