A Mirror


"Do what God's teaching says; when you only listen and do nothing, you are fooling yourselves. Those who hear God's teaching and do nothing are like people who look at themselves in a mirror. They see their faces and then go away and quickly forget what they looked like. But the truly happy people are those who carefully study God's perfect law that makes people free, and they continue to study it. They do not forget what they heard, but they obey what God's teaching says. Those who do this will be made happy."

James 1:22-25 New Century Version
I've been reading my Bible in the NCV lately. It isn't probably the most conducive for deep studying, but it is nice when just reading the Word. Anyway, I read this passage the other day and was struck. Now, I have read this passage time and time again and very nearly have it memorized but this time it was different.
I love how God does that, how His Word never ceases to teach and His Spirit never ceases to point out my sin to make me ever more like Christ. Once again, He did.
When it comes to sermons, I'm a note taker. I think it comes from my educational history, you just take notes when you are being taught. Unfortunately, as I read this I realized that as I'm taking these notes and drinking the teaching in...I'm not changing. I am not returning to what I've learned and putting it into practice. I quietly tuck my notes into my Bible or purse and go on with my week. SHAME ON ME!
Praise the Lord for His faithfulness and His grace.
Alissa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt