My cousin asked about me making her some spring/summer dresses. I thought I'd give it a try! First I thought I try to make it for myself, sans pattern and see how it went.
Here is the dress I came up with. The fabric color was different than I pictured when I ordered it. It looks a lot like a hospital gown or scrubs:S The elastic waist needed to be higher as it kept riding up to my natural waistline.
With it trying to ride up, I also needed to add some length. I found some coordinating fabric and made some changes.
Ignore the silly face. Anywho...I took the elastic out of the waist completely. It just didn't work with my figure. I added some length with my coordinating fabric, made one flower and added a simple buttoned belt at the waistline.
I like it much better now.
So, this has a pleated waist...that was like the elastic waist in the last dress. It looked TERRIBLE on me! So, I took a shirt dress that I have and used it as a guide for creating a more fitted dress. Love it!
It too needed definition at the waist, so I added a black sash/belt.