Finish It Up Friday...Compass Star!

A friend asked me to make a quilt to be raffled off for the organization which she works for.  It works to help those affected by domestic abuse.  I let her pick the pattern and the color scheme.  She chose Compass Star.  I found the pattern by Roxanne Carter and got to work!
 I haven't really done a lot with solids before.  I don't leave town often so I order most of my fabric online.  It was a pleasant surprise to only have to reorder one fabric because the shade was just wrong for the gradation effect.
 The star/compass/New York Beauty-esque sections were all paper-pieced.  I don't actually mind paper-piecing and so I just made a bit of an assembly line and made them all at the same time.
 The diamonds with the gradient fabrics were made by sewing the strips together and then cutting them at an angle.  I was worried about stretching the bias edges, but things came together nicely.  Most of my points actually matched up too!!
 She is a big one, she is coming in at 88 x 88!
 It was and still is stunning to step back and take it all in!  I must say it looks harder than it actually ended up being.  I was weird and bought totally normal, one color only for the backing. Hehe, that is so not my normal thing!
On to the quilting!!!
 It is just so normal to me that I often forget to even mention it, but this entire quilt, quilting and all was made on my treadle sewing machine.  I purchased this one almost 10 years ago and just love the simplicity of it and how fun it is to use.
I didn't get too fancy with the quilting.  Simply stuck with a lot of echo quilting for the most part.


Looks like I don't have a good picture of the entire thing flat.  There is a thin purple border and then a wider border in the teal print.  I machine-bound it with the grey.
 Hurray for big, successful finishes!


Alissa

Comments

  1. Wow! what an intricate design. lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it really is a lovely design!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful finish! Sure to bring in some big $$ in the raffle, that is for a great cause. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I sure hope it brings in lots of money. It is a very good cause!

      Delete
  3. This quilt is gorgeous!! It better bring in the big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not my colors personally but a very fun design!!

      Delete
  4. OMG! You must really like your friend, or you really support the cause. I don't think I know anyone for whom I'd make a quilt like this! You are good! This looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a good cause and she is a wonderful friend. She did pay me some also. I really enjoyed quilting and it's for a wonderful cause.

      Delete
  5. Alissa!! This. Is. FABULOUS!!! I hope it brings in a ton of money, because it sure should!! I think If someone asked me to make something for a raffle, I wouldn't be nearly so generous. (I always joke that quilting is a workout - but for you, it really is, huh?)

    happy making ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! I loved making it! And I'm always up for a challenge such as this. I like the workout that it becomes ;)

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! This is marvelous! I hope you will make one for yourself to, sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For myself it would definitely be in different colors. Not sure which ones though. I'm actually kind of wondering what it would look like if it was somewhat Scrappy but in certain color tones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt