Finish It Up Friday...Camper's Flannel Quilt Take Two!

I cleaned and even rearranged my little sewing room a few weeks ago.  It is so nice to sit down to work and not look at the bags and stacks of stuff left sit.  Everything is in its place...for now ;)
While clearing out the underneath of my sewing table I found these blocks.  They are left over from my nephew's last quilt.  You can read about it here and here!
When I made his row quilt I thought I was making enough blocks for two identical quilts.  Turns out I needed more and so these were left over.  I decided to add some sashing and make it into a throw/child size quilt!
 Amazingly enough, I had some gray flannel to put between the blocks.  I had lots, even enough for the backing!

 Somewhere in between the basting and actual quilting I finished a few small projects.  I finished my second sock!!  These are the first socks I've ever knitted!  I used Amanda's pattern and it went quite well.  The second one of course was a bit simpler and faster.  Next time I will be patient and make them taller.  I wanted some wool socks to help with winter time sweaty feet.  I know, I could just go buy some but it is more fun for me to try my hand at making things.  So I ordered some nice yarn from Knitpicks and got crackin'!
 I also added this Valentine project to the list.  We found a bag with pieces of heart shaped fabrics in pairs...all ready to become pillows.  I took them home, added some of grandma's lace and ricrac and just like that we had prizes for a work game.
 Back to the flannel quilt...
Here is my row of pieced work in the backing.  Yes, the picture is upside down.  I'm tired and just going to leave it that way, because I can.
 I stitched in the ditch quilted the sashings.  Then I did a simple diagonal line quilting in both directions.  Thought about doing something more complex but sometimes simple is better.
 When it came time to bind I realized I didn't have any more of my flannels to use as binding.  I still have scraps of the colors but they are just bits.  Maybe I will make a fun pillow to go with the quilt but not enough for the binding.  I was able to find a sturdier, dark maybe flannel in my stash for the binding.  Hurray!
 The sun came out today and although it is cold it makes for much better lighting when taking pictures.  Hurray for a finish!


 This one may end up as a raffle quilt for a local group's fundraising.  It terrifies me to think of people looking at it closely and seeing all its faults.  We will see!
Alissa

Comments

  1. Cozy quilt!! Perfect for snuggling or raffling. Congrats on a fine finish (complete with binding from your fabric stash!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gray makes the quilt come together nicely. Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome finish! It looks cozy 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt