Finish for a Friend...Jelly roll racer Mash Up!

I have a friend who is currently stuck Stateside for a time. It is a frustrating time of limbo for her but has also been a great time to spend with her here. I have never made her a quilt and I'm so thankful for the time we've had. So I inquired after her favorite colors and went to work!
It's awesome when you have a quilt top that will work for another project! I made this jelly roll racer mashup top from leftover fabric from another project several years ago. Her favorite color is purple and she also likes Aqua so I thought this would be great!
I had left over 7 or 8 in strips that I sewed all together along with several strips of white. I did the jelly roll racer pattern and came up with this quilt top. It ended up leaving a lot of negative space of just White. I decided to be brave and do some neat free motion quilting.

I made two leafy plants, using super fun variegated thread. Then I did something I have never done before...I made pebbles inside the leaves! I love it!

I also did straight line stitching down each row, a quarter of an inch from the seams. All the quilting was done on my treadle, even the pebbling!
I just love the way it turned out and filled the space!

Using variegated thread was a first too!
I found the plant design in the fabrics.


On our last quilt guild mystery bus trip I found this lovely, colorful fabric for the backing! It has a similar plant pattern in it and the array of colors is fairly close to the other fabrics.


It is a very happy finish!
Alissa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt