Henry & Martha's Mandala

My friends Henry & Martha got married!
I saw this Maureen Cracknell fabric online and had several quilt ideas pop into my head.
That cinched the deal, I just had to make them a quilt! ;)
I found a mandala pattern that kind of had the bohemian feel I was going for in my mind.
Several sections of curved piecing were involved...
I only had fat quarters so I had to make it a bit scrappy.
It went together fairly quickly, although I promise you it is NOT perfect.
Those curves were a bit sticky!
The hardest was getting my sections to be even pie pieces.  I did the first half and well, it wasn't a half.  I finagled it around in the center and made the seam allowances smaller on the outside edges until it did the trick. 
I was torn on the outside background fabric, to buy coordinating fabric or not, that was the question.
I opted for some plain off white and it came off just as nicely!
The leftover scraps were perfect for a scrappy border!
It turned out quite nice!
I also used the scraps to make the binding!  See the little fox peeking out at you?!

For the quilting I started in the middle and did loopty loops working my way out around and around the mandala circle.
The cat was quite helpful.

See!




I used up everything on this quilt.  Well, except for two fat quarters that I didn't like.  Had to add a bit of my stash to make it cover the back.
I loved the challenge and making something special for friends!
I hope they enjoy their throw!

Alissa

Comments

  1. Oh wow, this is gorgeous!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen! It was a challenge but a lot of fun to make!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

I'm Still Here!! Kim's Quilt