A Rug, Chenille and Baby Fuzzy!

The floor on my side of the bed always seems to be cold.  I took matters into my own hands and made a rug to comfort my freezing toes.
This was one I had seen somewhere and been wanting to make for years.
I have tons of tshirt material leftover from tshirt quilts.  I found these colors that I felt went well together and cut strips.  I think they were 4inx2in.  I ended up needing a lot more strips as I went.
I drew lines an inch apart on a large rectangle of denim for my rug base.  I started out doing two of each color in my pattern but soon switched to just one.  It was easy as sew a row, flip them out of the way and stitch another!
It got to be too much under the throat of my machine so I switched to the other direction.  Fun times!
I think it turned out pretty good!  The middle rows want to fold out and expose the denim base.  With some colors the contrast would be more and make it look bad but I think I am the only one who would notice!  Hurray for warm toes!
Before our little man arrived my cousin found me this red, western print fabric.  She was able to get quite a bit of it with our arriving bundle in mind.  I decided I would make a faux chenille little blanket out of it!  I made a few of these as baby gifts and they are quite fun to make.  You simply layer three layers of coordinating flannels on the back side of a focal/main fabric and then sew row upon row on the diagonal.  I believe my rows of stitching are 1/2 inch apart.
Such cute little cowpokes on this fabric!  These are the flannels I used.  You can see that the patterns don't match the focal fabric at all but the colors do.
Once all the rows are stitched you go through and cut between each row through only the flannel fabrics.  Don't cut through your focal fabric!  Regular scissors work but your hands will hate you by the end.  After the last one I made I purchased funny, right angle-ish scissors. They made it go a lot faster!

I trimmed the corners to be rounded on mine after all that cutting.  Attach a binding and then wash and dry that cute blanket a few times.   Tada, it looks like chenille!  As you can see those unmatched patterns don't show at all!  I made a cute little bib to coordinate!
My last finish to share in my effort to catch up and leave myself a reference is a baby snow suit!  Hehe, isn't my little man cute in there!?  He only actually wore it once this winter and now the weather is changing and it is too small!  Saving it for the next kiddo, if the Lord blesses us that way!
Anywho!
For the material for this project I simply went to our local Dollar General and purchased a fuzzy blanket! This one was this red plaid on one side/layer and then a more plush cream on the other side/layer.  I left them layered and used it as was making that cream side into the lining!

 I had an actual pattern for this project.  It went quick and left lots of fuzzies around my sewing room! Haha!

Alissa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

I'm Still Here!! Kim's Quilt