Simple Fishing Quilt

Hurray, hurray for a quilt finish! They feel like quite an accomplishment these days with a toddler running about! Haha!
This quilt was inspired by a knit fabric in my stash. You'll see it in a minute! It is going to a person who loves to fish and I thought they needed a throw size quilt!  I rarely make a quilt pattern twice since there are just so many I want to try, but I have actually made this one before.  It is from a Fons & Porter insert type magazine with just 3 patterns in it.  This one is called Double Diamonds!
I didn't have enough of one navy fabric so I found two.  I wanted to give it some pop of the gold color found on the fish too.  So I made two of the diamonds with the gold rather than the swirly teal.  The outer fabric is a denim colored chambray so I really mixed my fabric types here. I am proud to say that I used all random stash fabrics for this one.  Well, except the back...
This top went together super fast.  My little helper is getting super fast these days too! :)
You can see my two contrast diamonds in this one.
And finally, here is a close up shot of the inspirational fish fabric!! Haha!  I was glad to find a purpose for it as it isn't a fabric that can be used for a lot of things!

I wanted this one to be nice and snuggly so I was thinking a flannel, minky or other plush type fabric for the backing.  I ended up purchasing some faux sherpa throw blankets from our local farm store! I thought that one would be the perfect size.  However, I had to add a bit of a border out of my chambray fabric to make it big enough.
For the quilting I just went 1/4 of an inch along one of the diagonal directions.  As always, this was pieced and quilted on my lovely red eye 1920s Singer treadle machine.  I would maybe like the look of more quilting but felt that this would be good as it is.


It is bound in scraps from the two navy fabrics.  The diamond piecing method actually used 2 1/2 inch strips so I had them hanging about anyway!!
Did you see my mistake?! I didn't see it until posting these pictures!!!  Haha! Look closely at that bottom row! Wow, not sure how I didn't see that earlier. Oh well, I did manage to keep all of the fish upright so there is something!
Here you can see my warm, fuzzy backing!

Fun finish!
And since I have been unable to find a picture from when I finished the first one in this pattern...here she is Double Diamonds number 1!
She is hanging in our hallway!
I am linking up with Finish Or Not Friday and TGIFF!

Alissa



Comments

  1. That is a great quilt!! and its not a mistake - its just that one fish is always swimming upstream haha!! The colors are great - and the photo with the little guy - oh my - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes that is a great way to look at it!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

I'm Still Here!! Kim's Quilt