A Finish Full of Memories.

Hello there.  I finished a quilt!  Hurrah!
A cousin of mine lost her husband 5 years ago.  She requested me to make her a quilt out of his shirts.  She didn't ask too much for specifics, just wanted the back of one shirt as the center, this cross.
I don't always go into projects with an exact design or plan in mind.  She did say she wanted it to be symmetrical and that was pretty easy to abide by.  I used the light fabrics to make the center into a star around the cross.
Next I decided I didn't want to do the whole quilt on the diagonal so I added large triangles and a solid red border to bring it back to square.
Trying to give it some continuity I added another border of half square triangles in solids.  He wore western button up shirts as you may have guessed.  I had LOTS of designs and patterns to work with.  Some of the shirts just had embroidered designs on the chest sections.  I used them in several spots in the top to make corners.
At this point I changed my mind again! I cut several of the remaining shirts into squares and ended up putting it back on the diagonal!
I added another solid border to break up things.  This quilt has a lot going on with all of the different fabrics!  I also made her a number of pillowcases out of the shirt fronts.  She had a few specific shirts she wanted in her pillowcases she plans to keep for herself.  I was able to use more of those shirts to create a star block in each of the four corners.  I once again used the half square triangle border to try and keep my continuity.
More triangles! I did use my treadle as usual to do all of the piecing.  I just love using that machine!
I decided to take a picture of the top once I finished it and I sure picked the wrong day.  It was sooo  windy!
After snapping and snapping pictures I finally got one that caught an almost complete view!
I was really pleased with how it all came together.
I probably should have done another practice project with Miss Vivian but I was so anxious to get started that I just put this one on the frame and had at it!  I thought about trying something fancy but with all that is going on with patterns and colors I just did a simple loopty loop quilting pattern.
And it is done!  I was able to deliver it over Thanksgiving and was so pleased to hear she loved it!


For the back she requested I use his old jeans.  It adds a lovely weighted feel to the quilt!
I even got brave while quilting and put his name in a few times.
Thankful to have the opportunity to do this quilt for her!
Alissa
 

Linking up with Alycia and TGIFF

Comments

  1. Beautiful quilt, congratulations! I'm always happy to see other people sewing with treadles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love my treadle! It is old faithful and never gives me trouble like the electric ones do.

      Delete
  2. What a labor of love!! How was quilting through all that denim? Congrats on finishing in time to deliver on Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really wasn't too bad. My long arm is an old Singer that is often used as a leather machine. Not sure some others would have worked. There were a few bulky seams that took a little care to get over.

      Delete
  3. Love your design and thoughtfulness. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a special and fun challenge!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Miss Alissa. This quilt is gorgeous. I would love to have one done. My husband passed in September and I have several pairs of jeans and some nice shirts but I live in Las Vegas can you please Contact me @Andreawill99@yahoo.com. thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!!! That is just gorgeous!! I love how all the elements came together on this one - she will CHERISH it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am pleased with how it came together!!

      Delete
  6. I love how you created this quilt from the center out! The star points in the center really glow. What a special gift for your cousin. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dixie1:25 PM

    That is beautiful Alissa ~ you are so very talented. Miss you so much❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt