Fuzzy Minky Baby

I have a finish.  It will now turn into a shameless plug for an Etsy seller because I am leaving these blankets UP TO HER!

A friend who I have made several quilts for asked for a baby quilt for her soon to arrive nephew.  I sent her some ideas and she said the momma to be had found this blanket.  She loved it and wondered if I could replicate it fairly close.

I am no stranger to rag quilts, I have made a few.  I said okay and was flattered that she asked me rather than just buy it from the Etsy store.

I ordered several fabrics that I thought were similar. It is always fun to order new fabric!  I ordered the a lovely, soft, plush minky and the fuzz began.  I quickly realized the situation would be out of control if I cut that lovely soft, plush minky up into small squares...hahaha, major fuzz alert!
So, I decided to quilt my patterned cotton squares onto the inner layer and the minky first.   One less step of handling would help control the fuzz I hoped.
I then did the deed of cutting them apart.  Oh boy!  I quickly put them in a box to contain them a bit.
Notice my chubby belly at the bottom of that last picture!  Haha, so much fuzz!
I took the squares to a spare bed and laid them out in rows.
This here began my speedy decision to never do this again.  I once painted a sunporch room for someone on a cold rainy day. I failed to open any windows for good air circulation and my lungs have never been the same since.  If I'm around paint fumes, polyurathane or anything of that nature I feel it begin to constrict in my chest.  Weirdly enough...the little floating fibers everywhere had the same effect.  Ugh!
Hehe, here is my solution.  Forge ahead with a bandana!  It worked pretty good, just a stray tickly fiber in my nose from time to time.  I took each row upon completion outside and shook and shook and shook.  You see, it's a rag quilt and those seams had to be cut into little strips...sooo much fuzz!!
I also made the mistake of using something other than cotton batting for the inner layer.  I had a lovely white flannelish blanket in my stash.  There was just enough and I thought it would rag out a bit better than batting.  It was however pretty thick.  Those bulky seams were TOUGH even for my sturdy treadle machine.  Half way through I was very prepared to order the one from Etsy and cut my losses. Haha!  Just ask my husband, I was about beat!
Hurray for perservering though!  I am glad I finished because it turned out super cute!  It didn't even fall apart in it's initial wash and fluff!  Praise the Lord!
We had a few days of wonderful sunshine and I really didn't want to kill my dryer, so it isn't completely dry in these pictures.  I let it mostly dry outside before a quick fluff in the dryer.
The soft, fluffy back blends right in with the snow!
She did also request that I find a fabric with rabbits on it if I could.  This is apparently the year of the rabbit.  I think this little guy fits right in!
So here is a big HURRAY for this one being finished!
But don't ask me to make another one! Haha!

Alissa
Linking up with Alycia at Quiltygirl and TGIFF!

Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear your lungs were hurting but it's an awesome and very generous finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a learning experience for sure! So happy it turned out well.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on a cozy finish, but boo-hiss on the lung issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I know on the fuzz, haha!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh - it turned out amazing!!! What a way to stick with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it did turn out cute! Glad I stuck with it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt