'Our Hearts Will Go On' Quilt Finish

A friend commissioned me to make a quilt for her to give as a wedding gift later this summer.  She asked for hearts with some light background fabric they could have guests sign at the wedding if they wish.  I found a few options online and she really liked this one, 'Our Hearts Will Go On' by The Fabric Addict.
She really liked the fabrics in this example picture I found on someone's blog.  I was in luck, I had most of the colors needed.  I did stick with solids for this one, not something I've done much.
The blocks went together quickly once I got the fabrics all cut and the pieces carefully labeled.  I laid it out on our spare bed and was pleased to see that the hearts were really there!  It was hard to see as you pieced that it would. 
I then began putting the blocks into rows, once again labelling carefully!  I only had to undo one row where I had a block upside down.  I tried really hard to keep things exact so my corners and points would match up.  Perhaps I need more room for error and then cutting down but these were either barely big enough or too small often.  Not sure if it was me or the pattern.
The top before adding borders.
I added a small cream border and then a wider green one.
I'm still having a little trouble with threads breaking often on Miss Vivian so I stayed with simple loopty loop quilting.  I just wasn't feeling brave enough to try something more complicated.  I wasn't sure what color thread to use.  I didn't want it to take away from the colors of the heart and such.  I did the first two passes with a light gray and then switched to white to see how it looked.  I was surprised to see that the white looked much better, even on that dark border. 
 I did find a simple step by step on loading your frame.  Once I flipped it all around in my head it worked great!  You see, on most modern quilting machines you stand in front of the machine and drive.  Mine is at the back and I stand on the opposite side of the frame.  It worked great though!  It was nice and evenly tensioned and I felt like I was able to do a much more professional job! Hurray!
First I will show you the back, which is a brown wide backing print from Connecting Threads.  Doesn't it look cool with the sun shining through?!
And the finished product!  Yay!  It was a fun one to try and I'm glad to hear she loves it!

Alissa

Linking up with Alycia at QuiltyGirl and TGIFF!

Comments

  1. Of course your friend loved it. That's an absolute stunner. Perfect as a wedding or special anniversary gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very happy with how it turned out!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt