The Sunflowers Star Quilt


Enter, the pattern: Nova by Quilting Gail.
And the fabrics:
I started this quilt at our old house in the calm before the CHAOS!
The gal who requested the quilt agreed that the star itself in cream/yellows and a teal/blue background would look best.  So I began lots and lots of chain piecing.

Then our house sold and as we awaited the closing we started working like mad to get a roof on the house so rain wouldn't come into the basement where we would have to live for awhile.  We spent a few days staying at a friend's house while he was away.  It is super close to our new home so we could get more done each day.  The first day was BEAUTIFUL and I set up camp on his porch while our little guy played outside.  It was lovely to sew outside.  When I packed up my sewing room, I left these fabrics and supplies in a box to keep handy knowing the sewing room would not be unpacked soon.
The next day was too breezy so it was inside to his dining room table, haha!
Closing day came and we moved into the basement! Hurray!  But I still needed to finish this quilt.  I started in the "living room" area of the basement.  Kneeling on the floor to do all the trimming of those squares reminded me that I am getting older, haha!
It started to come together though.  I had to do a lot of marking to keep track of my rows.
Next I moved to our "bedroom" area of the basement!

Soon, it was onto the bed as the quilt top got bigger and bigger.
Hurray! I laid it out on our queen bed and realized some borders were in order to make it the proper size.
First border, sunflowers.
I ended up adding a solid light yellow border, a strip fabric border on top and bottom and then a pieced teal border.  I was really having to be creative as my pile of coordinating fabrics was getting quite low.
But, I was able to do it and to piece together the backing even!
This is when Miss Vivian had to be put back together.  It wasn't too bad and there was so much room upstairs without the other contents of the sewing room, haha!
I went with an all over meander design.
And here she is:
I had purchased a coordinating panel when I got the fabrics just because I liked it.  I'm glad I did, had to use it to complete the back!



I think she turned out lovely!  FIRST official finish in our new house! Just had to wait until it was delivered to share:)!
Alissa

Linking up with Alycia at QuiltyGirl and TGIFF!











Comments

  1. Gorgeous finish! and with 2 of my favorite colors. The back is just as spectacular. I love this one to pieces!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with your ability to move from studio space to studio depending on where the construction work is taking place. What a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it took some creativity! Between the construction and my toddler it was interesting!😄

      Delete
  3. That is a gorgeous quilt - but Holee cow - what a variety of places you worked on it. That is amazing at how portable you can do this!! and yay for the first finish at your new house !!! What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finish It Up Friday...Scrappy Triangle Shag Rug

Finish It Up Friday...Pink Triangle Shag Rug!

Hello, Jellyfish Wedding Quilt